"Find hungry samurai" -Gisaku

BAD SANTA

If you’re easily offended, say, by South Park-level vulgarity, then you need to stay away. (Unless, of course, you are completely in love with Lauren Graham, the “mom” Lorelai from Gilmore Girls, and will put up with anything to see her. And if that’s you, I need to tell you, she has never looked sexier.) Bad Santa is (I’m guessing) one of those movies people are either going to absolutely love or hate with the fire of a thousand suns. Myself, I love dark Christmas movies (The Ref), and humor that refuses to back down (South Park: the movie, one of the four greatest satires of all time), so Bad Santa was a dream for me. I laughed so hard I thought I would get incontinent.

This is the kind of movie where, when the main character (Billy Bob Thornton) meets an innocent kid, Billy turns the kid worse than the kid makes Billy nice. I laughed my ass off, and can only say, if you like dark humor, this is for you.

Suspension of Disbelief Index: 4. Things are stretched, but nothing is beyond the pale.

Genre Grade: Christmas Classics; B- (only because the whole family DEFINITELY can’t watch it together). Dark Humor: A-. This is one funny movie that never backs down.

Pantheon Percentile: 58. When it’s all said and done, nobody’s winning awards for this, but I will watch it every holiday along with The Family Man and Black Adder Christmas.

No comments: