"Find hungry samurai" -Gisaku

SURFACE

SURFACE – I was not looking forward to one more show, but for old times’ sake (i.e., you, the readers), I recorded this and gave it a shot. I am so glad I did. If NBC does an encore you’re gonna wanna check it out. Of course, with my obsession with the Sea (and my assumptions that they will one day come to fight us, which is why I don’t eat seafood), SURFACE was right up my alley.

The first episode introduced us to (presumably) the main characters, as all over on various coasts “creatures” are starting to surface from the deep. This is a new breed of mammal, apparently able to emit their own light. At times they appear like mermaids and at times like giant sea lions. The reason I’m not sure is because the director takes a page from Spielberg (circa JAWS) and never actually shows us the creatures straight on. We either get tantalizing glimpses or far-away shots that make size impossible to judge.

There is some really nice work done here. One underwater sequence is thankfully quiet and free of music, which works as a contrast as we “feel” what the divers feel in the water. The colors are well done here too, and add to the mood. The only niggling point is the main character seems a little generic and her “family” issues may get old. But here’s hoping that’s just minor and whatever’s down there will grow into a great show. So far this is the only show I’m positive I’ll watch. You should too.

No comments: