"Find hungry samurai" -Gisaku

#746 - ED WOOD





Movie-Hype (#746) - ED WOOD


I am currently in the middle of reviewing all the scary Johnny Depp movies, which by nature of their close association, also includes many Tim Burton movies. Not twenty minutes ago I wrote breathless praise for EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and I have several Depp/Burton collaborations to go.

What I am trying to say is: in general I applaud Tim Burton. I love his wacky thought-process, his demented vision, and the chances he takes, both visually and thematically in his films. When so many directors play it safe, Burton is a true original.

So then, I don't want to spend too much time trashing a director I admire. Many many people loved ED WOOD, a biopic of one the worst filmmakers in Cinematic history, but a true original nonetheless; a man who's vision vastly outstripped his talent. The film was nominated for a slew of awards and won two Oscars, including MartinLandau (Best Supporting Actor) as the aging Bela Lugosi who was so often Wood's muse later in life.

I'm not one of those admiring people. For whatever reason, I could not stand this film, though I have tried to watch it several times, in hopes my initial experience was just me in a bad mood. I don't know why, but it totally rubs me the wrong way and I just can't get into the material. As far as Depp goes, he gives an interesting performance, if not one I totally believed. (I don't mean Depp did badly, I mean more that I found a hard time thinking Wood would act this way.) Then again, what do I know?

I am not arrogant enough to think that the vast majority of critical opinion is wrong and somehow I'm the only one who can see truth, but I can't help the way I feel. If you have become a fan of Tim Burton or Johnny Depp, see the movie and judge for yourself. As for me, I would much rather watch one of thelubriciously awful Ed Wood films, such as PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. There is something almost noble in art that bad.

Not here.


No comments: